Definition of Roasting. Meaning of Roasting. Synonyms of Roasting
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Roasting. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Roasting and, of course, Roasting synonyms and on the right images related to the word Roasting.
Definition of Roasting
RoastingRoast Roast, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Roasted; p. pr. & vb. n.
Roasting.] [OE. rosten, OF. rostir, F. r[^o]tir; of German
origin; cf. OHG. r[=o]sten, G. r["o]sten, fr. OHG. r[=o]st,
r[=o]sta, gridiron, G. rost; cf. AS. hyrstan to roast.]
1. To cook by exposure to radiant heat before a fire; as, to
roast meat on a spit, or in an oven open toward the fire
and having reflecting surfaces within; also, to cook in a
2. To cook by surrounding with hot embers, ashes, sand, etc.;
as, to roast a potato in ashes.
In eggs boiled and roasted there is scarce
difference to be discerned. --BAcon.
3. To dry and parch by exposure to heat; as, to roast coffee;
to roast chestnuts, or peanuts.
4. Hence, to heat to excess; to heat violently; to burn.
``Roasted in wrath and fire.' --Shak.
5. (Metal.) To dissipate by heat the volatile parts of, as
6. To banter severely. [Colloq.] --Atterbury. RoastingRoasting Roast"ing,
a. & n., from Roast, v.
Roasting ear, an ear of Indian corn at that stage of
development when it is fit to be eaten roasted.
Roasting jack, a machine for turning a spit on which meat
Meaning of Roasting from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Roasting