Definition of Applied. Meaning of Applied. Synonyms of Applied
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Applied.
Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Applied and, of course, Applied synonyms and on the right images related to the word Applied.
Definition of Applied
AppliedApply Ap*ply", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Applied; p. pr. & vb. n.
Applying.] [OF. aplier, F. appliquer, fr. L. applicare to
join, fix, or attach to; ad + plicare to fold, to twist
together. See Applicant, Ply.]
1. To lay or place; to put or adjust (one thing to another);
-- with to; as, to apply the hand to the breast; to apply
medicaments to a diseased part of the body.
He said, and the sword his throat applied. --Dryden.
2. To put to use; to use or employ for a particular purpose,
or in a particular case; to appropriate; to devote; as, to
apply money to the payment of a debt.
3. To make use of, declare, or pronounce, as suitable,
fitting, or relative; as, to apply the testimony to the
case; to apply an epithet to a person.
Yet God at last To Satan, first in sin, his doom
4. To fix closely; to engage and employ diligently, or with
attention; to attach; to incline.
Apply thine heart unto instruction. --Prov. xxiii.
5. To direct or address. [R.]
Sacred vows . . . applied to grisly Pluto. --Pope.
6. To betake; to address; to refer; -- used reflexively.
I applied myself to him for help. --Johnson.
7. To busy; to keep at work; to ply. [Obs.]
She was skillful in applying his ``humors.' --Sir
8. To visit. [Obs.]
And he applied each place so fast. --Chapman.
Applied chemistry. See under Chemistry.
Applied mathematics. See under Mathematics.
Meaning of Applied from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Applied