Definition of Shortening. Meaning of Shortening. Synonyms of Shortening
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Shortening. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Shortening and, of course, Shortening synonyms and on the right images related to the word Shortening.
Definition of Shortening
ShorteningShorten Short"en, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shortened ?; p. pr. &
vb. n. Shortening.] [See Short, a.]
1. To make short or shorter in measure, extent, or time; as,
to shorten distance; to shorten a road; to shorten days of
2. To reduce or diminish in amount, quantity, or extent; to
lessen; to abridge; to curtail; to contract; as, to
shorten work, an allowance of food, etc.
Here, where the subject is so fruitful, I am
shortened by my chain. --Dryden.
3. To make deficient (as to); to deprive; -- with of.
Spoiled of his nose, and shortened of his ears.
4. To make short or friable, as pastry, with butter, lard,
pot liquor, or the like.
To shorten a rope (Naut.), to take in the slack of it.
To shorten sail (Naut.), to reduce sail by taking it in.
Shortening Short"en*ing, n.
1. The act of making or becoming short or shorter.
2. (Cookery) That which renders pastry short or friable, as
butter, lard, etc.
Meaning of Shortening from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Shortening