Definition of Active. Meaning of Active. Synonyms of Active
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Active. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Active and, of course, Active synonyms and on the right images related to the word Active.
Definition of Active
ActiveActive Ac"tive, a. [F. actif, L. activus, fr. agere to act.]
1. Having the power or quality of acting; causing change;
communicating action or motion; acting; -- opposed to
passive, that receives; as, certain active principles;
the powers of the mind.
2. Quick in physical movement; of an agile and vigorous body;
nimble; as, an active child or animal.
Active and nervous was his gait. --Wordsworth.
3. In action; actually proceeding; working; in force; --
opposed to quiescent, dormant, or extinct; as,
active laws; active hostilities; an active volcano.
4. Given to action; constantly engaged in action; energetic;
diligent; busy; -- opposed to dull, sluggish,
indolent, or inert; as, an active man of business;
active mind; active zeal.
5. Requiring or implying action or exertion; -- opposed to
sedentary or to tranquil; as, active employment or
service; active scenes.
6. Given to action rather than contemplation; practical;
operative; -- opposed to speculative or theoretical;
as, an active rather than a speculative statesman.
7. Brisk; lively; as, an active demand for corn.
8. Implying or producing rapid action; as, an active disease;
an active remedy.
(a) Applied to a form of the verb; -- opposed to
passive. See Active voice, under Voice.
(b) Applied to verbs which assert that the subject acts
upon or affects something else; transitive.
(c) Applied to all verbs that express action as distinct
from mere existence or state.
Active capital, Active wealth, money, or property that
may readily be converted into money.
Syn: Agile; alert; brisk; vigorous; nimble; lively; quick;
sprightly; prompt; energetic.
Meaning of Active from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Active