Definition of Provides. Meaning of Provides. Synonyms of Provides
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Provides.
Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Provides and, of course, Provides synonyms and on the right images related to the word Provides.
Definition of Provides
ProvideProvide Pro*vide", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Provided; p. pr. &
vb. n. Providing.] [L. providere, provisum; pro before +
videre to see. See Vision, and cf. Prudent, Purvey.]
1. To look out for in advance; to procure beforehand; to get,
collect, or make ready for future use; to prepare.
``Provide us all things necessary.' --Shak.
2. To supply; to afford; to contribute.
Bring me berries, or such cooling fruit As the kind,
hospitable woods provide. --Milton.
3. To furnish; to supply; -- formerly followed by of, now by
with. ``And yet provided him of but one.' --Jer. Taylor.
``Rome . . . was well provided with corn.' --Arbuthnot.
4. To establish as a previous condition; to stipulate; as,
the contract provides that the work be well done.
5. To foresee.
Note: [A Latinism] [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
6. To appoint to an ecclesiastical benefice before it is
vacant. See Provisor. --Prescott.
Provide Pro*vide", v. i.
1. To procure supplies or means in advance; to take measures
beforehand in view of an expected or a possible future
need, especially a danger or an evil; -- followed by
against or for; as, to provide against the inclemency of
the weather; to provide for the education of a child.
Government is a contrivance of human wisdom to
provide for human wants. --Burke.
2. To stipulate previously; to condition; as, the agreement
provides for an early completion of the work.
Meaning of Provides from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Provides