Definition of Swell. Meaning of Swell. Synonyms of Swell
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Swell. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Swell and, of course, Swell synonyms and on the right images related to the word Swell.
Definition of Swell
Swell Swell, v. t.
1. To increase the size, bulk, or dimensions of; to cause to
rise, dilate, or increase; as, rains and dissolving snow
swell the rivers in spring; immigration swells the
[The Church] swells her high, heart-cheering tone.
2. To aggravate; to heighten.
It is low ebb with his accuser when such
peccadilloes are put to swell the charge.
3. To raise to arrogance; to puff up; to inflate; as, to be
swelled with pride or haughtiness.
4. (Mus.) To augment gradually in force or loudness, as the
sound of a note.
SwellSwell Swell, v. i. [imp. Swelled; p. p. Swelled or
Swollen; p. pr. & vb. n. Swelling.] [AS. swellan; akin to
D. zwellen, OS. & OHG. swellan, G. schwellen, Icel. svella,
1. To grow larger; to dilate or extend the exterior surface
or dimensions, by matter added within, or by expansion of
the inclosed substance; as, the legs swell in dropsy; a
bruised part swells; a bladder swells by inflation.
2. To increase in size or extent by any addition; to increase
in volume or force; as, a river swells, and overflows its
banks; sounds swell or diminish.
3. To rise or be driven into waves or billows; to heave; as,
in tempest, the ocean swells into waves.
4. To be puffed up or bloated; as, to swell with pride.
You swell at the tartan, as the bull is said to do
at scarlet. --Sir W.
5. To be inflated; to belly; as, the sails swell.
6. To be turgid, bombastic, or extravagant; as, swelling
words; a swelling style.
7. To protuberate; to bulge out; as, a cask swells in the
8. To be elated; to rise arrogantly.
Your equal mind yet swells not into state. --Dryden.
9. To grow upon the view; to become larger; to expand.
``Monarchs to behold the swelling scene!' --Shak.
10. To become larger in amount; as, many little debts added,
swell to a great amount.
11. To act in a pompous, ostentatious, or arrogant manner; to
strut; to look big.
Here he comes, swelling like a turkey cock. --Shak. SwellSwell Swell, n.
1. The act of swelling.
2. Gradual increase. Specifically:
(a) Increase or augmentation in bulk; protuberance.
(b) Increase in height; elevation; rise.
Little River affords navigation during a swell
to within three miles of the Miami. --Jefferson.
(c) Increase of force, intensity, or volume of sound.
Music arose with its voluptuous swell. --Byron.
(d) Increase of power in style, or of rhetorical force.
The swell and subsidence of his periods.
3. A gradual ascent, or rounded elevation, of land; as, an
extensive plain abounding with little swells.
4. A wave, or billow; especially, a succession of large
waves; the roll of the sea after a storm; as, a heavy
swell sets into the harbor.
The swell Of the long waves that roll in yonder bay.
The gigantic swells and billows of the snow.
5. (Mus.) A gradual increase and decrease of the volume of
sound; the crescendo and diminuendo combined; -- generally
indicated by the sign.
6. A showy, dashing person; a dandy. [Slang]
Ground swell. See under Ground.
Organ swell (Mus.), a certain number of pipes inclosed in a
box, the uncovering of which by means of a pedal produces
Swell shark (Zo["o]l.), a small shark (Scyllium
ventricosum) of the west coast of North America, which
takes in air when caught, and swells up like a swellfish. SwellSwell Swell, a.
Having the characteristics of a person of rank and
importance; showy; dandified; distinguished; as, a swell
person; a swell neighborhood. [Slang]
Swell mob. See under Mob. [Slang]
Meaning of Swell from wikipedia
name for a geographic hillock Swell
(ocean), a formation
of long wavelength ocean surface waves Swell
(geology), a large...
- A swell
, in the context
of an ocean, sea or lake, is a series
of mechanical waves
that propagate along
the interface between water
and air and thus are...
- The Swell Season
is a folk rock duo formed
by Irish musician
and Czech singer
Markéta Irglová. "The Swell
Season" name is derived...
Maps were an experimental
post-punk rock group
of the 1970s from Birmingham, England. Influenced
by the disparate likes
of T. Rex and...
- to be struck
in a dangerous
way. A cross swell
when the wave systems
are longer-period swells
than short-period wind-generated waves...
- The Nubian Swell
is a geologic structural uplift
in northern Africa
east-west and separates
Nile of Egypt
from the Sudan
- Die swell
, also known
as extrudate swell
effect, is a common phenomenon
processing. Die swell occurs
- The Swellers
were an American
punk band from Flint, Michigan. Their music
punk rock bands
as well as alternative
is a civil parish
in the English county
of Gloucestershire.The po****tion of the civil parish taken
at the 2011 census
was 389. Swell
- Rafael Swell
is a large geologic feature located
in south-central Utah about
(26 km) west of Green
River, Utah. The San Rafael Swell
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Swell