Definition of Swelling. Meaning of Swelling. Synonyms of Swelling
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Swelling. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Swelling and, of course, Swelling synonyms and on the right images related to the word Swelling.
Definition of Swelling
SwellingSwell Swell, v. i. [imp. Swelled; p. p. Swelled or
Swollen; p. pr. & vb. n. Swelling.] [AS. swellan; akin to
D. zwellen, OS. & OHG. swellan, G. schwellen, Icel. svella,
1. To grow larger; to dilate or extend the exterior surface
or dimensions, by matter added within, or by expansion of
the inclosed substance; as, the legs swell in dropsy; a
bruised part swells; a bladder swells by inflation.
2. To increase in size or extent by any addition; to increase
in volume or force; as, a river swells, and overflows its
banks; sounds swell or diminish.
3. To rise or be driven into waves or billows; to heave; as,
in tempest, the ocean swells into waves.
4. To be puffed up or bloated; as, to swell with pride.
You swell at the tartan, as the bull is said to do
at scarlet. --Sir W.
5. To be inflated; to belly; as, the sails swell.
6. To be turgid, bombastic, or extravagant; as, swelling
words; a swelling style.
7. To protuberate; to bulge out; as, a cask swells in the
8. To be elated; to rise arrogantly.
Your equal mind yet swells not into state. --Dryden.
9. To grow upon the view; to become larger; to expand.
``Monarchs to behold the swelling scene!' --Shak.
10. To become larger in amount; as, many little debts added,
swell to a great amount.
11. To act in a pompous, ostentatious, or arrogant manner; to
strut; to look big.
Here he comes, swelling like a turkey cock. --Shak.
Swelling Swell"ing, n.
1. The act of that which swells; as, the swelling of rivers
in spring; the swelling of the breast with pride.
Rise to the swelling of the voiceless sea.
2. A protuberance; a prominence; especially (Med.), an
unnatural prominence or protuberance; as, a scrofulous
The superficies of such plates are not even, but
have many cavities and swellings. --Sir I.
Meaning of Swelling from wikipedia
(medical), a transient abnormal enlargement
of a body part or area not caused
by a tumor
Die swell, the increase
- Edema, also known
as fluid retention
, is the build
up of fluid
in the body's tissue. Most commonly
the legs or arms are affected. Symptoms...
; preferring, and competing
with the largest swellings
. Though heavily
investigated, the ultimate function
of ****ual swellings
- The labioscrotal swellings
folds) are paired structures
in the human embryo
the final stage
- The swelling capacity
of a polymer
by the amount
of liquid material
that can be absorbed
by it. This test can done by two methods: Beaker...
- also show under
the knee when straightened. Icing
may help to decrease swelling
. Heat may help relax
of the knee. If an individual
puffiness, also known
eyes, or swelling around
the eyes, is the appearance
in the tissues around
the eyes, called
- median swelling
– the median tongue
bud (tuberculum impar) of the first pharyngeal
arch. In the fifth
w**** a pair of lateral lingual swellings
, one on...
- Swelling index
to the following material parameters
that quantify volume
change: Crucible swelling
index, also known
as free swelling
- Antiviral medications
are used as well as high doses
to reduce swelling
in the lungs. People
with SARS must be isolated, preferably
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Swelling