Definition of Parting. Meaning of Parting. Synonyms of Parting
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Parting. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Parting and, of course, Parting synonyms and on the right images related to the word Parting.
Definition of Parting
Parting Par"ting, n.
1. The act of parting or dividing; the state of being parted;
division; separation. ``The parting of the way.' --Ezek.
2. A separation; a leave-taking. --Shak.
And there were sudden partings, such as press The
life from out young hearts. --Byron.
3. A surface or line of separation where a division occurs.
4. (Founding) The surface of the sand of one section of a
mold where it meets that of another section.
5. (Chem.) The separation and determination of alloys; esp.,
the separation, as by acids, of gold from silver in the
6. (Geol.) A joint or fissure, as in a coal seam.
7. (Naut.) The breaking, as of a cable, by violence.
8. (Min.) Lamellar separation in a crystallized mineral, due
to some other cause than cleavage, as to the presence of
PartingParting Par"ting, a. [From Part, v.]
1. Serving to part; dividing; separating.
2. Given when departing; as, a parting shot; a parting
salute. ``Give him that parting kiss.' --Shak.
3. Departing. ``Speed the parting guest.' --Pope.
4. Admitting of being parted; partible.
Parting fellow, a partner. [Obs.] --Chaucer.
Parting pulley. See under Pulley.
Parting sand (Founding), dry, nonadhesive sand, sprinkled
upon the partings of a mold to facilitate the separation.
Parting strip (Arch.), in a sash window, one of the thin
strips of wood let into the pulley stile to keep the
sashes apart; also, the thin piece inserted in the window
box to separate the weights.
Parting tool (Mach.), a thin tool, used in turning or
planing, for cutting a piece in two. PartingPart Part, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Parted; p. pr. & vb. n.
Parting.] [F. partir, L. partire, partiri, p. p. partitus,
fr. pars, gen. partis, a part. See Part, n.]
1. To divide; to separate into distinct parts; to break into
two or more parts or pieces; to sever. ``Thou shalt part
it in pieces.' --Lev. ii. 6.
There, [celestial love] parted into rainbow hues.
2. To divide into shares; to divide and distribute; to allot;
to apportion; to share.
To part his throne, and share his heaven with thee.
They parted my raiment among them. --John xix.
3. To separate or disunite; to cause to go apart; to remove
from contact or contiguity; to sunder.
The Lord do so to me, and more also, if aught but
death part thee and me. --Ruth i. 17.
While he blessed them, he was parted from them, and
carried up into heaven. --Luke xxiv.
The narrow seas that part The French and English.
4. Hence: To hold apart; to stand between; to intervene
betwixt, as combatants.
The stumbling night did part our weary powers.
5. To separate by a process of extraction, elimination, or
secretion; as, to part gold from silver.
The liver minds his own affair, . . . And parts and
strains the vital juices. --Prior.
6. To leave; to quit. [Obs.]
Since presently your souls must part your bodies.
To part a cable (Naut.), to break it.
To part company, to separate, as travelers or companions.
Meaning of Parting from wikipedia
(film), a 2016 Afghan-Iranian film Parting
.com, a funeral
home directory Parting tradition Cleavage
- "The Parting
Gl****" is a Scottish traditional
sung at the end of a gathering
of friends. It was purportedly
the most po****r parting
- Parting Shots
is a 1999 British
film starring Chris
Reed, Bob Hoskins, Diana
Rigg, Ben Kingsley, John Cleese...
Shot" is the thirteenth episode
of the third season
of the American television series Agents
of S.H.I.E.L.D., based
on the Marvel Comics
- A parting
line, in industrial casting
of molds, is the border
line in which draft angles change
direction. That is, it is the dividing
line that splits...
- the parting
of the Red Sea a mirage?. New Scientist. p. 130. Correspondent, Jonathan
(2002-11-11). "Biblical plagues
- Parting Glances
is a 1986 American drama
film. With its realistic
look at urban
**** life in the Ronald Reagan
era and at the height
of the AIDS crisis...
of the Waters
is an unusual hydrologic
site at Two Ocean
P**** on the Great
the Teton Wilderness
area of Wyoming's Bridger-Teton...
- A parting stone
is a monument, usually
of stone, to either: Provide direction
at a fork in the road—a parting
of the way, or Commemorate
- Parting traditions
or parting customs
traditions, customs, and habits
used by people
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Parting