Definition of Lock rail. Meaning of Lock rail. Synonyms of Lock rail
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Lock rail. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Lock rail and, of course, Lock rail synonyms and on the right images related to the word Lock rail.
Definition of Lock rail
Lock railLock Lock, n. [AS. loc inclosure, an inclosed place, the
fastening of a door, fr. l[=u]can to lock, fasten; akin to
OS. l[=u]kan (in comp.), D. luiken, OHG. l[=u]hhan, Icel.
l?ka, Goth. l[=u]kan (in comp.); cf. Skr. ruj to break. Cf.
1. Anything that fastens; specifically, a fastening, as for a
door, a lid, a trunk, a drawer, and the like, in which a
bolt is moved by a key so as to hold or to release the
2. A fastening together or interlacing; a closing of one
thing upon another; a state of being fixed or immovable.
Albemarle Street closed by a lock of carriages. --De
3. A place from which egress is prevented, as by a lock.
4. The barrier or works which confine the water of a stream
5. An inclosure in a canal with gates at each end, used in
raising or lowering boats as they pass from one level to
another; -- called also lift lock.
6. That part or apparatus of a firearm by which the charge is
exploded; as, a matchlock, flintlock, percussion lock,
7. A device for keeping a wheel from turning.
8. A grapple in wrestling. --Milton.
Detector lock, a lock containing a contrivance for showing
whether it as has been tampered with.
Lock bay (Canals), the body of water in a lock chamber.
Lock chamber, the inclosed space between the gates of a
Lock nut. See Check nut, under Check.
Lock plate, a plate to which the mechanism of a gunlock is
Lock rail (Arch.), in ordinary paneled doors, the rail
nearest the lock.
Lock rand (Masonry), a range of bond stone. --Knight.
Mortise lock, a door lock inserted in a mortise.
Rim lock, a lock fastened to the face of a door, thus
differing from a mortise lock.
Meaning of Lock rail from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Lock rail