Definition of Attaining. Meaning of Attaining. Synonyms of Attaining
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Attaining.
Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Attaining and, of course, Attaining synonyms and on the right images related to the word Attaining.
Definition of Attaining
AttainingAttain At*tain" ([a^]t*t[=a]n"), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Attained (-t[=a]nd"); p. pr. & vb. n. Attaining.] [Of.
atteinen, atteignen, atainen, OF. ateindre, ataindre, F.
atteindre, fr. L. attingere; ad + tangere to touch, reach.
See Tangent, and cf. Attinge, Attaint.]
1. To achieve or accomplish, that is, to reach by efforts; to
gain; to compass; as, to attain rest.
Is he wise who hopes to attain the end without the
2. To gain or obtain possession of; to acquire. [Obs. with a
material object.] --Chaucer.
3. To get at the knowledge of; to ascertain. [Obs.]
Not well attaining his meaning. --Fuller.
4. To reach or come to, by progression or motion; to arrive
at. ``Canaan he now attains.' --Milton.
5. To overtake. [Obs.] --Bacon.
6. To reach in excellence or degree; to equal.
Syn: To Attain, Obtain, Procure.
Usage: Attain always implies an effort toward an object.
Hence it is not synonymous with obtain and procure,
which do not necessarily imply such effort or motion.
We procure or obtain a thing by purchase or loan, and
we obtain by inheritance, but we do not attain it by
Meaning of Attaining from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Attaining