Definition of Throttle. Meaning of Throttle. Synonyms of Throttle
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Throttle. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Throttle and, of course, Throttle synonyms and on the right images related to the word Throttle.
Definition of Throttle
ThrottleThrottle Throt"tle, n. [Dim. of throat. See Throat.]
1. The windpipe, or trachea; the weasand. --Sir W. Scott.
2. (Steam Engine) The throttle valve.
Throttle lever (Steam Engine), the hand lever by which a
throttle valve is moved, especially in a locomotive.
Throttle valve (Steam Engine), a valve moved by hand or by
a governor for regulating the supply of steam to the steam
chest. In one form it consists of a disk turning on a
transverse axis. ThrottleThrottle Throt"tle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Throttled; p. pr. &
vb. n. Throttling.]
1. To compress the throat of; to choke; to strangle.
Grant him this, and the Parliament hath no more
freedom than if it sat in his noose, which, when he
pleases to draw together with one twitch of his
negative, shall throttle a whole nation, to the wish
of Caligula, in one neck. --Milton.
2. To utter with breaks and interruption, in the manner of a
person half suffocated. [R.]
Throttle their practiced accent in their fears.
3. To shut off, or reduce flow of, as steam to an engine.
Throttle Throt"tle, v. i.
1. To have the throat obstructed so as to be in danger of
suffocation; to choke; to suffocate.
2. To breathe hard, as when nearly suffocated.
Meaning of Throttle from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Throttle