Definition of Strains. Meaning of Strains. Synonyms of Strains
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Strains. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Strains and, of course, Strains synonyms and on the right images related to the word Strains.
Definition of Strains
Strain Strain, n. (Hort.)
A cultural subvariety that is only slightly differentiated.
StrainStrain Strain, n. [See Strene.]
1. Race; stock; generation; descent; family.
He is of a noble strain. --Shak.
With animals and plants a cross between different
varieties, or between individuals of the same
variety but of another strain, gives vigor and
fertility to the offspring. --Darwin.
2. Hereditary character, quality, or disposition.
Intemperance and lust breed diseases, which,
propogated, spoil the strain of nation. --Tillotson.
3. Rank; a sort. ``The common strain.' --Dryden.
Strain Strain (str[=a]n), v. i.
1. To make violent efforts. ``Straining with too weak a
To build his fortune I will strain a little. --Shak.
2. To percolate; to be filtered; as, water straining through
a sandy soil.
Meaning of Strains from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Strains