Definition of Rifles. Meaning of Rifles. Synonyms of Rifles
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Rifles.
Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Rifles and, of course, Rifles synonyms and on the right images related to the word Rifles.
Definition of Rifles
RifleRifle Ri"fle, v. t.
1. To grove; to channel; especially, to groove internally
with spiral channels; as, to rifle a gun barrel or a
2. To whet with a rifle. See Rifle, n., 3.
Rifle Ri"fle, v. i.
1. To raffle. [Obs.] --Chapman.
2. To commit robbery. [R.] --Bp. Hall.
RifleRifle Ri"fle, n. [Akin to Dan. rifle, or riffel, the rifle of
a gun, a chamfer (cf. riffel, riffelb["o]sse, a rifle gun,
rifle to rifle a gun, G. riefeln, riefen, to chamfer,
groove), and E. rive. See Rive, and cf. Riffle, Rivel.]
1. A gun, the inside of whose barrel is grooved with spiral
channels, thus giving the ball a rotary motion and
insuring greater accuracy of fire. As a military firearm
it has superseded the musket.
2. pl. (Mil.) A body of soldiers armed with rifles.
3. A strip of wood covered with emery or a similar material,
used for sharpening scythes.
Rifle pit (Mil.), a trench for sheltering sharpshooters.
Meaning of Rifles from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Rifles