Definition of Powder. Meaning of Powder. Synonyms of Powder
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Powder.
Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Powder and, of course, Powder synonyms and on the right images related to the word Powder.
Definition of Powder
PowderPowder Pow"der, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Powdered; p. pr. & vb.
n. Powdering.] [F. poudrer.]
1. To reduce to fine particles; to pound, grind, or rub into
a powder; to comminute; to pulverize; to triturate.
2. To sprinkle with powder, or as with powder; to be
sprinkle; as, to powder the hair.
A circling zone thou seest Powdered with stars.
3. To sprinkle with salt; to corn, as meat. [Obs.] PowderPowder Pow"der, n. [OE. poudre, pouldre, F. poudre, OF. also
poldre, puldre, L. pulvis, pulveris: cf. pollen fine flour,
mill dust, E. pollen. Cf. Polverine, Pulverize.]
1. The fine particles to which any dry substance is reduced
by pounding, grinding, or triturating, or into which it
falls by decay; dust.
Grind their bones to powder small. --Shak.
2. An explosive mixture used in gunnery, blasting, etc.;
gunpowder. See Gunpowder.
Atlas powder, Baking powder, etc. See under Atlas,
Powder down (Zo["o]l.), the peculiar dust, or exfoliation,
of powder-down feathers.
Powder-down feather (Zo["o]l.), one of a peculiar kind of
modified feathers which sometimes form patches on certain
parts of some birds. They have a greasy texture and a
Powder-down patch (Zo["o]l.), a tuft or patch of
Powder hose, a tube of strong linen, about an inch in
diameter, filled with powder and used in firing mines.
Powder hoy (Naut.), a vessel specially fitted to carry
powder for the supply of war ships. They are usually
painted red and carry a red flag.
Powder magazine, or Powder room. See Magazine, 2.
Powder mine, a mine exploded by gunpowder. See Mine.
Powder monkey (Naut.), a boy formerly employed on war
vessels to carry powder; a powder boy.
Powder post. See Dry rot, under Dry.
Powder puff. See Puff, n.
Powder Pow"der, v. i.
1. To be reduced to powder; to become like powder; as, some
salts powder easily.
2. To use powder on the hair or skin; as, she paints and
Meaning of Powder from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Powder