Definition of Divides. Meaning of Divides. Synonyms of Divides
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Divides. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Divides and, of course, Divides synonyms and on the right images related to the word Divides.
Definition of Divides
DivideDivide Di*vide", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Divided; p. pr. & vb.
n. Dividing.] [L. dividere, divisum; di- = dis- + root
signifying to part; cf. Skr. vyadh to pierce; perh. akin to
L. vidua widow, and E. widow. Cf. Device, Devise.]
1. To part asunder (a whole); to sever into two or more parts
or pieces; to sunder; to separate into parts.
Divide the living child in two. --1 Kings iii.
2. To cause to be separate; to keep apart by a partition, or
by an imaginary line or limit; as, a wall divides two
houses; a stream divides the towns.
Let it divide the waters from the waters. --Gen. i.
3. To make partition of among a number; to apportion, as
profits of stock among proprietors; to give in shares; to
distribute; to mete out; to share.
True justice unto people to divide. --Spenser.
Ye shall divide the land by lot. --Num. xxxiii.
4. To disunite in opinion or interest; to make discordant or
hostile; to set at variance.
If a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom
can not stand. --Mark iii.
Every family became now divided within itself.
5. To separate into two parts, in order to ascertain the
votes for and against a measure; as, to divide a
legislative house upon a question.
6. (Math.) To subject to arithmetical division.
7. (Logic) To separate into species; -- said of a genus or
8. (Mech.) To mark divisions on; to graduate; as, to divide a
9. (Music) To play or sing in a florid style, or with
variations. [Obs.] --Spenser.
Syn: To sever; dissever; sunder; cleave; disjoin; disunite;
detach; disconnect; part; distribute; share.
Divide Di*vide", v. i.
1. To be separated; to part; to open; to go asunder.
The Indo-Germanic family divides into three groups.
2. To cause separation; to disunite.
A gulf, a strait, the sea intervening between
islands, divide less than the matted forest.
3. To break friendship; to fall out. --Shak.
4. To have a share; to partake. --Shak.
5. To vote, as in the British Parliament, by the members
separating themselves into two parties (as on opposite
sides of the hall or in opposite lobbies), that is, the
ayes dividing from the noes.
The emperors sat, voted, and divided with their
Divide Di*vide", n.
A dividing ridge of land between the tributaries of two
streams; a watershed.
Meaning of Divides from wikipedia
- This does not add much to the theory, as 0 does not divide
number, and every number divides
0. On the other
zero from the definition...
to Divisor Drainage divide
, a line separating
two drainage basins Great Divide
- divide where
it is possible
from one river system
to another. Drainage divides
can be divided
types: Continental divide
- gov "Continental Divides
in North Dakota
and North America
by Mark A. Gonzalez. Excellent article
on America's other continental divides
" (PDF). (123 KiB)...
- The Divide
to: The Divide
(novel), a 1980 alternate history novel
by William Overgard
by Nicholas Evans
2005 The Divide
- organization, has found
the term "digital divide
" to be problematic, since there
are a multiplicity
. Instead, they chose
to use the term "digital...
and rule (Latin: divide
et impera), or divide
and conquer, in politics
and maintaining power
in any way that preserves
". In elementary
way of looking
by zero is...
- Great Divide
or The Great Divide
to: Continental Divide
of the Americas, the most common meaning Great Divide
Basin, an endorheic drainage
and rule, in politics, sociology, and economics: a strategy
to gain or maintain power Defeat
in detail, in warfare...
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Divides