Definition of Divide. Meaning of Divide. Synonyms of Divide
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Divide. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Divide and, of course, Divide synonyms and on the right images related to the word Divide.
Definition of Divide
DivideDivide Di*vide", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Divided; p. pr. & vb.
n. Dividing.] [L. dividere, divisum; di- = dis- + root
signifying to part; cf. Skr. vyadh to pierce; perh. akin to
L. vidua widow, and E. widow. Cf. Device, Devise.]
1. To part asunder (a whole); to sever into two or more parts
or pieces; to sunder; to separate into parts.
Divide the living child in two. --1 Kings iii.
2. To cause to be separate; to keep apart by a partition, or
by an imaginary line or limit; as, a wall divides two
houses; a stream divides the towns.
Let it divide the waters from the waters. --Gen. i.
3. To make partition of among a number; to apportion, as
profits of stock among proprietors; to give in shares; to
distribute; to mete out; to share.
True justice unto people to divide. --Spenser.
Ye shall divide the land by lot. --Num. xxxiii.
4. To disunite in opinion or interest; to make discordant or
hostile; to set at variance.
If a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom
can not stand. --Mark iii.
Every family became now divided within itself.
5. To separate into two parts, in order to ascertain the
votes for and against a measure; as, to divide a
legislative house upon a question.
6. (Math.) To subject to arithmetical division.
7. (Logic) To separate into species; -- said of a genus or
8. (Mech.) To mark divisions on; to graduate; as, to divide a
9. (Music) To play or sing in a florid style, or with
variations. [Obs.] --Spenser.
Syn: To sever; dissever; sunder; cleave; disjoin; disunite;
detach; disconnect; part; distribute; share.
Divide Di*vide", v. i.
1. To be separated; to part; to open; to go asunder.
The Indo-Germanic family divides into three groups.
2. To cause separation; to disunite.
A gulf, a strait, the sea intervening between
islands, divide less than the matted forest.
3. To break friendship; to fall out. --Shak.
4. To have a share; to partake. --Shak.
5. To vote, as in the British Parliament, by the members
separating themselves into two parties (as on opposite
sides of the hall or in opposite lobbies), that is, the
ayes dividing from the noes.
The emperors sat, voted, and divided with their
Divide Di*vide", n.
A dividing ridge of land between the tributaries of two
streams; a watershed.
Meaning of Divide from wikipedia
to Divisor Drainage divide
, a line separating
two drainage basins Great Divide
- The Divide
to: The Divide
(novel), a 1980 alternate history novel
by William Overgard
by Nicholas Evans
2005 The Divide
- an attempt
by zero. Depending
on the programming environment
and the type of number
point, integer) being divided
by zero, it may...
- The North–South divide
is broadly considered
a socio-economic and political divide
. Generally, definitions
of the Global North include
- digital divide
is an economic
and social inequality
to the access
to, use of, or impact
and communication technologies
(ICT). The divide
- In computer
is an algorithm design paradigm based
on multi-branched recursion. A divide
-and-conquer algorithm works
- Continental Divide
of the Americas
as the Great Divide
, the Continental
Gulf of Division, or merely
the Continental Divide
) is the prin****l...
and rule (from Latin dīvide
et imperā), or divide
and conquer, in politics
and maintaining power
- ÷ (pronounced "divide
") is the third studio album
singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran. It was released
on 3 March
2017 through Asylum Records
- communities. It aims to help in international development
the digital divide
and providing equitable access
to technologies. ICT4D is grounded
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Divide