Definition of Annual. Meaning of Annual. Synonyms of Annual
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Annual. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Annual and, of course, Annual synonyms and on the right images related to the word Annual.
Definition of Annual
annualTax Tax, n. [F. taxe, fr. taxer to tax, L. taxare to touch,
sharply, to feel, handle, to censure, value, estimate, fr.
tangere, tactum, to touch. See Tangent, and cf. Task,
1. A charge, especially a pecuniary burden which is imposed
by authority. Specifically:
(a) A charge or burden laid upon persons or property for
the support of a government.
A farmer of taxes is, of all creditors,
proverbially the most rapacious. --Macaulay.
(b) Especially, the sum laid upon specific things, as upon
polls, lands, houses, income, etc.; as, a land tax; a
window tax; a tax on carriages, and the like.
Note: Taxes are annual or perpetual, direct or
(c) A sum imposed or levied upon the members of a society
to defray its expenses.
2. A task exacted from one who is under control; a
contribution or service, the rendering of which is imposed
upon a subject.
3. A disagreeable or burdensome duty or charge; as, a heavy
tax on time or health.
4. Charge; censure. [Obs.] --Clarendon.
5. A lesson to be learned; a task. [Obs.] --Johnson.
Tax cart, a spring cart subject to a low tax. [Eng.]
Syn: Impost; tribute; contribution; duty; toll; rate;
assessment; exaction; custom; demand.
Annual An"nu*al, n.
1. A thing happening or returning yearly; esp. a literary
work published once a year.
2. Anything, especially a plant, that lasts but one year or
season; an annual plant.
Oaths . . . in some sense almost annuals; . . . and
I myself can remember about forty different sets.
3. (R. C. Ch.) A Mass for a deceased person or for some
special object, said daily for a year or on the
AnnualAnnual An"nu*al (?; 135), a. [OE. annuel, F. annuel, fr. L.
annualis, fr. annus year. Cf. Annals.]
1. Of or pertaining to a year; returning every year; coming
or happening once in the year; yearly.
The annual overflowing of the river [Nile]. --Ray.
2. Performed or accomplished in a year; reckoned by the year;
as, the annual motion of the earth.
A thousand pound a year, annual support. --Shak.
2. Lasting or continuing only one year or one growing season;
requiring to be renewed every year; as, an annual plant;
annual tickets. --Bacon.
Meaning of Annual from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Annual