Definition of Alloy. Meaning of Alloy. Synonyms of Alloy
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Alloy. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Alloy and, of course, Alloy synonyms and on the right images related to the word Alloy.
Definition of Alloy
Alloy Al*loy", v. t.
To form a metallic compound.
Gold and iron alloy with ease. --Ure.
AlloyAlloy Al*loy", n. [OE. alai, OF. alei, F. aloyer, to alloy,
alier to ally. See Alloy, v. t.]
1. Any combination or compound of metals fused together; a
mixture of metals; for example, brass, which is an alloy
of copper and zinc. But when mercury is one of the metals,
the compound is called an amalgam.
2. The quality, or comparative purity, of gold or silver;
3. A baser metal mixed with a finer.
Fine silver is silver without the mixture of any
baser metal. Alloy is baser metal mixed with it.
4. Admixture of anything which lessens the value or detracts
from; as, no happiness is without alloy. ``Pure English
without Latin alloy.' --F. Harrison. AlloyAlloy Al*loy", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Alloyed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Alloying.] [F. aloyer, OF. alier, allier, later allayer,
fr. L. aligare. See Alloy, n., Ally, v. t., and cf.
1. To reduce the purity of by mixing with a less valuable
substance; as, to alloy gold with silver or copper, or
silver with copper.
2. To mix, as metals, so as to form a compound.
3. To abate, impair, or debase by mixture; to allay; as, to
alloy pleasure with misfortunes.
Meaning of Alloy from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Alloy