Definition of barb. Meaning of barb. Synonyms of barb
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word barb.
Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word barb and, of course, barb synonyms and on the right images related to the word barb.
Definition of barb
BarbBarb Barb, n. [F. barbe, fr. L. barba beard. See Beard, n.]
1. Beard, or that which resembles it, or grows in the place
The barbel, so called by reason of his barbs, or
wattles in his mouth. --Walton.
2. A muffler, worn by nuns and mourners. [Obs.]
3. pl. Paps, or little projections, of the mucous membrane,
which mark the opening of the submaxillary glands under
the tongue in horses and cattle. The name is mostly
applied when the barbs are inflamed and swollen. [Written
also barbel and barble.]
4. The point that stands backward in an arrow, fishhook,
etc., to prevent it from being easily extracted. Hence:
Anything which stands out with a sharp point obliquely or
crosswise to something else. ``Having two barbs or
5. A bit for a horse. [Obs.] --Spenser.
6. (Zo["o]l.) One of the side branches of a feather, which
collectively constitute the vane. See Feather.
7. (Zo["o]l.) A southern name for the kingfishes of the
eastern and southeastern coasts of the United States; --
also improperly called whiting.
8. (Bot.) A hair or bristle ending in a double hook. BarbBarb Barb, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Barbed (?); p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To shave or dress the beard of. [Obs.]
2. To clip; to mow. [Obs.] --Marston.
3. To furnish with barbs, or with that which will hold or
hurt like barbs, as an arrow, fishhook, spear, etc.
But rattling storm of arrows barbed with fire.
Barb Barb, n. [F. barbe, fr. Barbarie.]
1. The Barbary horse, a superior breed introduced from
Barbary into Spain by the Moors.
2. (Zo["o]l.) A blackish or dun variety of the pigeon,
originally brought from Barbary.
BarbBarb Barb, n. [Corrupted fr. bard.]
Armor for a horse. Same as 2d Bard, n., 1.
Meaning of barb from wikipedia
- Look up barb
in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Barb
or the BARBs
(name), a list of people
and fictional characters
Limited) is a British organisation
that is responsible
for audience measurement
in the United
Kingdom. It was created
in 1981 to replace...
to: A festival
in Latvian mythology Barbeş
, a village
in Greece merged
into the town of Vergina People Armand
- hose barb
in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Hose barbs
are cylindrical pieces
(tubing). The barb
- dictionary. Barb
Wire may refer
wire, a fencing material Barb
Wire (character), a comic
book superhero published
by Dark Horse Comics Barb
- The tiger barb
or Sumatra barb
(Puntigrus tetrazona), is a species
of tropical cyprinid
fish. The natural geographic range reportedly extends
east India. Other common names include Tamiraparani barb
, Silas barb
and longfin barb
fish are dark brownish olive
on the back, becoming...
Wire is a 1996 American superhero
on the Barb
by Dark Horse. It was directed
by Brad Wyman...
- The Barb
the English Barb
) is a breed
of fancy pigeon developed
over many years
- The Java barb
(Barbonymus gonionotus; Thai: ตะเพียน Ta-phian; Lao: Pa keng; Khmer: ត្រីឆ្ពិន Trey Chpin; Indonesian: Tawes; Vietnamese: Mè Vinh ), more...
Recent Searches ...
Related images to barb