Definition of Sustaining. Meaning of Sustaining. Synonyms of Sustaining
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Sustaining.
Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Sustaining and, of course, Sustaining synonyms and on the right images related to the word Sustaining.
Definition of Sustaining
SustainingSustain Sus*tain", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sustained; p. pr. &
vb. n. Sustaining.] [OE. sustenen, susteinen, OF. sustenir,
sostenir, F. soutenir (the French prefix is properly fr. L.
subtus below, fr. sub under), L. sustinere; pref. sus- (see
Sub-) + tenere to hold. See Tenable, and cf.
1. To keep from falling; to bear; to uphold; to support; as,
a foundation sustains the superstructure; a beast sustains
a load; a rope sustains a weight.
Every pillar the temple to sustain. --Chaucer.
2. Hence, to keep from sinking, as in despondence, or the
like; to support.
No comfortable expectations of another life to
sustain him under the evils in this world.
3. To maintain; to keep alive; to support; to subsist; to
nourish; as, provisions to sustain an army.
4. To aid, comfort, or relieve; to vindicate. --Shak.
His sons, who seek the tyrant to sustain. --Dryden.
5. To endure without failing or yielding; to bear up under;
as, to sustain defeat and disappointment.
6. To suffer; to bear; to undergo.
Shall Turnus, then, such endless toil sustain?
You shall sustain more new disgraces. --Shak.
7. To allow the prosecution of; to admit as valid; to
sanction; to continue; not to dismiss or abate; as, the
court sustained the action or suit.
8. To prove; to establish by evidence; to corroborate or
confirm; to be conclusive of; as, to sustain a charge, an
accusation, or a proposition.
Syn: To support; uphold; subsist; assist; relieve; suffer;
Meaning of Sustaining from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Sustaining