Definition of Stitch. Meaning of Stitch. Synonyms of Stitch
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Stitch. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Stitch and, of course, Stitch synonyms and on the right images related to the word Stitch.
Definition of Stitch
Stitch Stitch, n.
An arrangement of stitches, or method of stitching in some
particular way or style; as, cross-stitch; herringbone
StitchStitch Stitch, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stitched; p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To form stitches in; especially, to sew in such a manner
as to show on the surface a continuous line of stitches;
as, to stitch a shirt bosom.
2. To sew, or unite together by stitches; as, to stitch
printed sheets in making a book or a pamphlet.
3. (Agric.) To form land into ridges.
To stitch up, to mend or unite with a needle and thread;
as, to stitch up a rent; to stitch up an artery. StitchStitch Stitch, n. [OE. stiche, AS. stice a pricking, akin to
stician to prick. See Stick, v. i.]
1. A single pass of a needle in sewing; the loop or turn of
the thread thus made.
2. A single turn of the thread round a needle in knitting; a
link, or loop, of yarn; as, to let down, or drop, a
stitch; to take up a stitch.
3. [Cf. OE. sticche, stecche, stucche, a piece, AS. stycce.
Cf. Stock.] A space of work taken up, or gone over, in a
single pass of the needle; hence, by extension, any space
passed over; distance.
You have gone a good stitch. --Bunyan.
In Syria the husbandmen go lightly over with their
plow, and take no deep stitch in making their
4. A local sharp pain; an acute pain, like the piercing of a
needle; as, a stitch in the side.
He was taken with a cold and with stitches, which
was, indeed, a pleurisy. --Bp. Burnet.
5. A contortion, or twist. [Obs.]
If you talk, Or pull your face into a stitch again,
I shall be angry. --Marston.
6. Any least part of a fabric or dress; as, to wet every
stitch of clothes. [Colloq.]
7. A furrow. --Chapman.
Chain stitch, Lock stitch. See in the Vocabulary.
Pearl, or Purl stitch. See 2nd Purl, 2.
Stitch Stitch, v. i.
To practice stitching, or needlework.
Meaning of Stitch from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Stitch