Definition of Familiar. Meaning of Familiar. Synonyms of Familiar
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Familiar. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Familiar and, of course, Familiar synonyms and on the right images related to the word Familiar.
Definition of Familiar
FamiliarFamiliar Fa*mil`iar, a. [OE. familer, familier, F. familier,
fr. L. familiaris, fr. familia family. See Family.]
1. Of or pertaining to a family; domestic. ``Familiar
2. Closely acquainted or intimate, as a friend or companion;
well versed in, as any subject of study; as, familiar with
3. Characterized by, or exhibiting, the manner of an intimate
friend; not formal; unconstrained; easy; accessible. ``In
loose, familiar strains.' --Addison.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar. --Shak.
4. Well known; well understood; common; frequent; as, a
That war, or peace, or both at once, may be As
things acquainted and familiar to us. --Shak.
There is nothing more familiar than this. --Locke.
5. Improperly acquainted; wrongly intimate. --Camden.
Familiar spirit, a demon or evil spirit supposed to attend
at call. --1 Sam. xxviii. 3, 7-9.
Familiar Fa*mil"iar, n.
1. An intimate; a companion.
All my familiars watched for my halting. --Jer. xx.
2. An attendant demon or evil spirit. --Shak.
3. (Court of Inquisition) A confidential officer employed in
the service of the tribunal, especially in apprehending
and imprisoning the accused.
Meaning of Familiar from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Familiar