Definition of Falls. Meaning of Falls. Synonyms of Falls
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Falls. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Falls and, of course, Falls synonyms and on the right images related to the word Falls.
Definition of Falls
FallFall Fall, n.
1. The act of falling; a dropping or descending be the force
of gravity; descent; as, a fall from a horse, or from the
yard of ship.
2. The act of dropping or tumbling from an erect posture; as,
he was walking on ice, and had a fall.
3. Death; destruction; overthrow; ruin.
They thy fall conspire. --Denham.
Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit
before a fall. --Prov. xvi.
4. Downfall; degradation; loss of greatness or office;
termination of greatness, power, or dominion; ruin;
overthrow; as, the fall of the Roman empire.
Beholds thee glorious only in thy fall. --Pope.
5. The surrender of a besieged fortress or town; as, the fall
6. Diminution or decrease in price or value; depreciation;
as, the fall of prices; the fall of rents.
7. A sinking of tone; cadence; as, the fall of the voice at
the close of a sentence.
8. Declivity; the descent of land or a hill; a slope.
9. Descent of water; a cascade; a cataract; a rush of water
down a precipice or steep; -- usually in the plural,
sometimes in the singular; as, the falls of Niagara.
10. The discharge of a river or current of water into the
ocean, or into a lake or pond; as, the fall of the Po
into the Gulf of Venice. --Addison.
11. Extent of descent; the distance which anything falls; as,
the water of a stream has a fall of five feet.
12. The season when leaves fall from trees; autumn.
What crowds of patients the town doctor kills, Or
how, last fall, he raised the weekly bills.
13. That which falls; a falling; as, a fall of rain; a heavy
fall of snow.
14. The act of felling or cutting down. ``The fall of
15. Lapse or declension from innocence or goodness.
Specifically: The first apostasy; the act of our first
parents in eating the forbidden fruit; also, the apostasy
of the rebellious angels.
16. Formerly, a kind of ruff or band for the neck; a falling
band; a faule. --B. Jonson.
17. That part (as one of the ropes) of a tackle to which the
power is applied in hoisting.
Fall herring (Zo["o]l.), a herring of the Atlantic (Clupea
mediocris); -- also called tailor herring, and hickory
To try a fall, to try a bout at wrestling. --Shak.
Fall Fall, v. t.
1. To let fall; to drop. [Obs.]
For every tear he falls, a Trojan bleeds. --Shak.
2. To sink; to depress; as, to fall the voice. [Obs.]
3. To diminish; to lessen or lower. [Obs.]
Upon lessening interest to four per cent, you fall
the price of your native commodities. --Locke.
4. To bring forth; as, to fall lambs. [R.] --Shak.
5. To fell; to cut down; as, to fall a tree. [Prov. Eng. &
Meaning of Falls from wikipedia
or rapids Falls
, North Carolina Falls
, West Virginia Belfast Falls
- Gravity Falls
is an American animated television series produced
by Disney Television Animation originally
for Disney Channel
(and then later
- Victoria Falls
(Lozi: Mosi-oa-Tunya, "The Smoke
that Thunders") is a waterfall
in southern Africa
on the Zambezi River
at the border between Zambia
- Jog Falls
, Gerosoppa Falls
or Joga Falls
is the second highest plunge waterfall
in India located
in Sagara taluk Shivamogga
district. It is a segmented...
- Angel Falls
"waterfall of the deepest
place", or Parakupá Vená, meaning
"the fall from...
- Niagara Falls
, Paulo Afonso Falls
and Khone Falls
. Cl****es of other
well-known waterfalls include Victoria Falls
and Kaieteur Falls
(Cl**** 9); Rhine Falls
- Iguazú Falls
or Iguaçu Falls
del Iguazú [kataˈɾatas ðel iɣwaˈsu]; Guarani: Chororo Yguasu
[ɕoɾoɾo ɨɣʷasu]; Portuguese: Cataratas
- The Falls
is a 1980 film directed
Greenaway. It was Greenaway's first
feature-length film after
many years making
shorts. It does not have a...
- As Falls
Wichita, so Falls Wichita Falls
is a collaborative album
by Pat Metheny
and Lyle Mays, released
in 1981. The title makes reference
- Falls Church
is an independent
city in the Commonwealth
of Virginia. As of the 2010 census, the po****tion was 12,332. The estimated
po****tion in 2015...
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Falls