Definition of Around. Meaning of Around. Synonyms of Around
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Around. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Around and, of course, Around synonyms and on the right images related to the word Around.
Definition of Around
AroundAround A*round", adv. [Pref. a- + round.]
1. In a circle; circularly; on every side; round.
2. In a circuit; here and there within the surrounding space;
all about; as, to travel around from town to town.
3. Near; in the neighborhood; as, this man was standing
around when the fight took place. [Colloq. U. S.]
Note: See Round, the shorter form, adv. & prep., which, in
some of the meanings, is more commonly used.
Around A*round", prep.
1. On all sides of; encircling; encompassing; so as to make
the circuit of; about.
A lambent flame arose, which gently spread Around
his brows. --Dryden.
2. From one part to another of; at random through; about; on
another side of; as, to travel around the country; a house
standing around the corner. [Colloq. U. S.]
aroundHem Hem, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hemmed; p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To form a hem or border to; to fold and sew down the edge
2. To border; to edge
All the skirt about Was hemmed with golden fringe.
To hem about, around, or in, to inclose and confine; to
surround; to environ. ``With valiant squadrons round about
to hem.' --Fairfax. ``Hemmed in to be a spoil to
To hem out, to shut out. ``You can not hem me out of
London.' --J. Webster.
Meaning of Around from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Around