Definition of Depressing. Meaning of Depressing. Synonyms of Depressing
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Depressing. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Depressing and, of course, Depressing synonyms and on the right images related to the word Depressing.
Definition of Depressing
DepressingDepress De*press", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Depressed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Depressing.] [L. depressus, p. p. of deprimere; de-
+ premere to press. See Press.]
1. To press down; to cause to sink; to let fall; to lower;
as, to depress the muzzle of a gun; to depress the eyes.
``With lips depressed.' --Tennyson.
2. To bring down or humble; to abase, as pride.
3. To cast a gloom upon; to sadden; as, his spirits were
4. To lessen the activity of; to make dull; embarrass, as
trade, commerce, etc.
5. To lessen in price; to cause to decline in value; to
cheapen; to depreciate.
6. (Math.) To reduce (an equation) in a lower degree.
To depress the pole (Naut.), to cause the sidereal pole to
appear lower or nearer the horizon, as by sailing toward
Syn: To sink; lower; abase; cast down; deject; humble;
degrade; dispirit; discourage.
Meaning of Depressing from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Depressing