Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Advances. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Advances and, of course, Advances synonyms and on the right images related to the word Advances.
Advance Ad*vance", v. i.
1. To move or go forward; to proceed; as, he advanced to
2. To increase or make progress in any respect; as, to
advance in knowledge, in stature, in years, in price.
3. To rise in rank, office, or consequence; to be preferred
Advanced to a level with ancient peers. --Prescott.
Advance Ad*vance", a.
Before in place, or beforehand in time; -- used for advanced;
as, an advance guard, or that before the main guard or body
of an army; advance payment, or that made before it is due;
advance proofs, advance sheets, pages of a forthcoming
volume, received in advance of the time of publication.
AdvanceAdvance Ad*vance", n. [Cf. F. avance, fr. avancer. See
1. The act of advancing or moving forward or upward;
2. Improvement or progression, physically, mentally, morally,
or socially; as, an advance in health, knowledge, or
religion; an advance in rank or office.
3. An addition to the price; rise in price or value; as, an
advance on the prime cost of goods.
4. The first step towards the attainment of a result;
approach made to gain favor, to form an acquaintance, to
adjust a difference, etc.; an overture; a tender; an
offer; -- usually in the plural.
[He] made the like advances to the dissenters.
5. A furnishing of something before an equivalent is received
(as money or goods), towards a capital or stock, or on
loan; payment beforehand; the money or goods thus
furnished; money or value supplied beforehand.
I shall, with pleasure, make the necessary advances.
The account was made up with intent to show what
advances had been made. --Kent.
(a) In front; before.
(b) Beforehand; before an equivalent is received.
(c) In the state of having advanced money on account; as,
A is in advance to B a thousand dollars or pounds.
Meaning of Advances from wikipedia