Definition of Descent. Meaning of Descent. Synonyms of Descent
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Descent. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Descent and, of course, Descent synonyms and on the right images related to the word Descent.
Definition of Descent
DescentDescent De*scent", n. [F. descente, fr. descendre; like vente,
from vendre. See Descend.]
1. The act of descending, or passing downward; change of
place from higher to lower.
2. Incursion; sudden attack; especially, hostile invasion
from sea; -- often followed by upon or on; as, to make a
descent upon the enemy.
The United Provinces . . . ordered public prayer to
God, when they feared that the French and English
fleets would make a descent upon their coasts.
3. Progress downward, as in station, virtue, as in station,
virtue, and the like, from a higher to a lower state, from
a higher to a lower state, from the more to the less
important, from the better to the worse, etc.
2. Derivation, as from an ancestor; procedure by generation;
lineage; birth; extraction. --Dryden.
5. (Law) Transmission of an estate by inheritance, usually,
but not necessarily, in the descending line; title to
inherit an estate by reason of consanguinity. --Abbott.
6. Inclination downward; a descending way; inclined or
sloping surface; declivity; slope; as, a steep descent.
7. That which is descended; descendants; issue.
If care of our descent perplex us most, Which must
be born to certain woe. --Milton.
8. A step or remove downward in any scale of gradation; a
degree in the scale of genealogy; a generation.
No man living is a thousand descents removed from
Adam himself. --Hooker.
9. Lowest place; extreme downward place. [R.]
And from the extremest upward of thy head, To the
descent and dust below thy foot. --Shak.
10. (Mus.) A passing from a higher to a lower tone.
Syn: Declivity; slope; degradation; extraction; lineage;
assault; invasion; attack.
Meaning of Descent from wikipedia
to: Common descent
in evolutionary biology
Kinship, one of the major concepts
of cultural anthropology Pedigree chart
- The Descent
is a 2005 British adventure horror
by Neil Marshall. The film follows
who, having entered
a cave system...
- Gradient descent
is a first-order iterative optimization algorithm
the local minimum
of a function. To find a local minimum
of a function...
- This is the British
tree, from James
VI & I (whose accession united
and Scotland) to the present
- Charles Darwin
used the expression
with modification" rather
than "evolution". Partly influenced
by An Essay...
- Line of Descent
as The Field) is a 2019 crime
(in his directorial
debut) and starring...
Khan (Mongolian: Алтан ураг Altan
"Golden lineage"), generally called
Genghisids, is traceable primarily
- Continuous descent approach
(CDA) also known
as optimized profile descent
(OPD), is a method
by which aircraft approach airports prior
to landing. It is...
line of descent
– the children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. of a person. In a legal procedure
sense, lineal descent refers
to the acquisition...
- Stochastic gradient descent
SGD) is an iterative method
an objective function
with suitable smoothness properties
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Descent