Definition of Caterpillars. Meaning of Caterpillars. Synonyms of Caterpillars

Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Caterpillars. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Caterpillars and, of course, Caterpillars synonyms and on the right images related to the word Caterpillars.

Definition of Caterpillars

caterpillars
Larva Lar"va, n.; pl. L. Larv[ae], E. Larvas. [L. larva ghost, specter, mask.] 1. (Zo["o]l.) Any young insect from the time that it hatches from the egg until it becomes a pupa, or chrysalis. During this time it usually molts several times, and may change its form or color each time. The larv[ae] of many insects are much like the adults in form and habits, but have no trace of wings, the rudimentary wings appearing only in the pupa stage. In other groups of insects the larv[ae] are totally unlike the parents in structure and habits, and are called caterpillars, grubs, maggots, etc. 2. (Zo["o]l.) The early, immature form of any animal when more or less of a metamorphosis takes place, before the assumption of the mature shape.
Caterpillar
Caterpillar Cat"er*pil`lar, n. [OE. catyrpel, corrupted fr. OF. chatepelouse, or cate pelue, fr. chate, F. chatte, she-cat, fem. of chat, L. catus + L. pilosus hairy, or F. pelu hairy, fr. L. pilus hair. See Cat, and Pile hair.] 1. (Zo["o]l.) The larval state of a butterfly or any lepidopterous insect; sometimes, but less commonly, the larval state of other insects, as the sawflies, which are also called false caterpillars. The true caterpillars have three pairs of true legs, and several pairs of abdominal fleshy legs (prolegs) armed with hooks. Some are hairy, others naked. They usually feed on leaves, fruit, and succulent vegetables, being often very destructive, Many of them are popularly called worms, as the cutworm, cankerworm, army worm, cotton worm, silkworm. 2. (Bot.) A plant of the genus Scorpiurus, with pods resembling caterpillars. Caterpillar catcher, or Caterpillar eater (Zo["o]l.), a bird belonging to the family of Shrikes, which feeds on caterpillars. The name is also given to several other birds. Caterpillar hunter (Zo["o]l.), any species of beetles of the genus Callosoma and other allied genera of the family Carabid[ae] which feed habitually upon caterpillars.

Meaning of Caterpillars from wikipedia

- sawflies are commonly called caterpillars as well. Both lepidopteran and symphytan larvae have eruciform body shapes. Caterpillars of most species are herbivorous...
- 2006, 66% of Caterpillars sales are made by one of the 63 dealers in the United States, with the remaining 34% sold by one of Caterpillar's 157 overseas...
- Moonpools & Caterpillars were a Filipino American alternative rock band based in California. They released three albums commercially, The Pink Album (self-released)...
- America (11 species) and the New World tropics. The larvae are called puss caterpillars, and with their long hairs, resemble cotton balls. They have venomous...
- Tent caterpillars are moderately sized caterpillars, or moth larvae, belonging to the genus Malacosoma in the family Lasiocampidae. Twenty-six species...
- A caterpillar is the larval form of some insects. Caterpillar or Caterpillars may also refer to: Caterpillar (1988 film), a 1988 ****anese short experimental...
- in Mexico. The species belongs to the family of slug caterpillars, Limacodidae. The caterpillar is primarily green with brown at either end and a prominent...
- Entomologist. 76 (2): 275. JSTOR 3495726. Hossler, Eric W. (2009). "Caterpillars and moths". Dermatologic Therapy. 22 (4): 353–366. doi:10.1111/j.1529-8019...
- rapidly, and within three w****s, fully formed caterpillars can be found within the eggs. The small caterpillars lie quiescent until the following spring,...
- ingested; however, prior to investigations into Lonomia caterpillars, it was not known that caterpillars could produce toxins which in sufficient quantities...
Loading...