Definition of Absolution. Meaning of Absolution. Synonyms of Absolution
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Absolution. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Absolution and, of course, Absolution synonyms and on the right images related to the word Absolution.
Definition of Absolution
AbsolutionAbsolution Ab`so*lu"tion, n. [F. absolution, L. absolutio, fr.
absolvere to absolve. See Absolve.]
1. An absolving, or setting free from guilt, sin, or penalty;
forgiveness of an offense. ``Government . . . granting
absolution to the nation.' --Froude.
2. (Civil Law) An acquittal, or sentence of a judge declaring
and accused person innocent. [Obs.]
3. (R. C. Ch.) The exercise of priestly jurisdiction in the
sacrament of penance, by which Catholics believe the sins
of the truly penitent are forgiven.
Note: In the English and other Protestant churches, this act
regarded as simply declaratory, not as imparting
4. (Eccl.) An absolving from ecclesiastical penalties, -- for
example, excommunication. --P. Cyc.
5. The form of words by which a penitent is absolved.
6. Delivery, in speech. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
Absolution day (R. C. Ch.), Tuesday before Easter.
Meaning of Absolution from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Absolution