Definition of Sacred. Meaning of Sacred. Synonyms of Sacred
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Sacred. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Sacred and, of course, Sacred synonyms and on the right images related to the word Sacred.
Definition of Sacred
SacredSacred Sa"cred, a. [Originally p. p. of OE. sacren to
consecrate, F. sacrer, fr. L. sacrare, fr. sacer sacred,
holy, cursed. Cf. Consecrate, Execrate, Saint,
1. Set apart by solemn religious ceremony; especially, in a
good sense, made holy; set apart to religious use;
consecrated; not profane or common; as, a sacred place; a
sacred day; sacred service.
2. Relating to religion, or to the services of religion; not
secular; religious; as, sacred history.
Smit with the love of sacred song. --Milton.
3. Designated or exalted by a divine sanction; possessing the
highest title to obedience, honor, reverence, or
veneration; entitled to extreme reverence; venerable.
Such neighbor nearness to our sacred [royal] blood
Should nothing privilege him. --Shak.
Poet and saint to thee alone were given, The two
most sacred names of earth and heaven. --Cowley.
4. Hence, not to be profaned or violated; inviolable.
Secrets of marriage still are sacred held. --Dryden.
5. Consecrated; dedicated; devoted; -- with to.
A temple, sacred to the queen of love. --Dryden.
6. Solemnly devoted, in a bad sense, as to evil, vengeance,
curse, or the like; accursed; baleful. [Archaic]
But, to destruction sacred and devote. --Milton.
Meaning of Sacred from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Sacred