Definition of Pauses. Meaning of Pauses. Synonyms of Pauses
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Pauses. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Pauses and, of course, Pauses synonyms and on the right images related to the word Pauses.
Definition of Pauses
PausePause Pause, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Paused; p. pr. & vb. n.
Pausing.] [Cf. F. pauser, L. pausare. See Pause, n.,
1. To make a short stop; to cease for a time; to intermit
speaking or acting; to stop; to wait; to rest. ``Tarry,
pause a day or two.' --Shak.
Pausing while, thus to herself she mused. --Milton.
2. To be intermitted; to cease; as, the music pauses.
3. To hesitate; to hold back; to delay. [R.]
Why doth the Jew pause? Take thy forfeiture. --Shak. PausePause Pause, n. [F., fr. L. pausa. See Pose.]
1. A temporary stop or rest; an intermission of action;
interruption; suspension; cessation.
2. Temporary inaction or waiting; hesitation; suspence;
I stand in pause where I shall first begin. --Shak.
3. In speaking or reading aloud, a brief arrest or suspension
of voice, to indicate the limits and relations of
sentences and their parts.
4. In writing and printing, a mark indicating the place and
nature of an arrest of voice in reading; a punctuation
point; as, teach the pupil to mind the pauses.
5. A break or paragraph in writing.
He writes with warmth, which usually neglects
method, and those partitions and pauses which men
educated in schools observe. --Locke.
6. (Mus.) A hold. See 4th Hold, 7.
Syn: Stop; cessation; suspension.
Pause Pause, v. t.
To cause to stop or rest; -- used reflexively. [R.] --Shak.
pauseCorona Co*ro"na (k?-r?"n?), n.; pl. L. Coron[ae] (-n?), E.
Coronas (-n?z). [L. corona crown. See Crown.]
1. A crown or garland bestowed among the Romans as a reward
for distinguished services.
2. (Arch.) The projecting part of a Classic cornice, the
under side of which is cut with a recess or channel so as
to form a drip. See Illust. of Column.
3. (Anat.) The upper surface of some part, as of a tooth or
the skull; a crown.
4. (Zo["o]l.) The shelly skeleton of a sea urchin.
5. (Astrol.) A peculiar luminous appearance, or aureola,
which surrounds the sun, and which is seen only when the
sun is totally eclipsed by the moon.
(a) An inner appendage to a petal or a corolla, often
forming a special cup, as in the daffodil and jonquil.
(b) Any crownlike appendage at the top of an organ.
(a) A circle, usually colored, seen in peculiar states of
the atmosphere around and close to a luminous body, as
the sun or moon.
(b) A peculiar phase of the aurora borealis, formed by
the concentration or convergence of luminous beams
around the point in the heavens indicated by the
direction of the dipping needle.
8. A crown or circlet suspended from the roof or vaulting of
churches, to hold tapers lighted on solemn occasions. It
is sometimes formed of double or triple circlets, arranged
pyramidically. Called also corona lucis. --Fairholt.
9. (Mus.) A character [[pause]] called the pause or hold.
Meaning of Pauses from wikipedia
key, the Pause
/Break key on computer keyboards pause
, a DOS command
Stop playing audio
or video, with the possibility
- Is Here" The Pauses
"Orlando’s The Pauses
keep their sound
on new album" Orlando Sentinel
 "Stream The Pauses
’ new J Robbins-produced...
" is the eighth episode
of the third season
of the Adult
Swim original series
The Boondocks. It aired
on June 20, 2010, and on October
kept the loop closed
(logic 1, or "marking") even during short pauses between
down a special
"break" key opened
- suspense before delivery
of the expected punch
-- sometimes called
" -- in this context, can be used to discern subtext
piece, "G.P." (General Pause
) indicates silence
for one bar or more for the entire
ensemble. The marking
of general pauses
is relevant, as making
- Daniel Zisette Kushnir better known
by his stage
is an American musician
and rap artist. The multi-instrumentalist producer
- the presence
congestion. The first
mechanism, the pause
frame, was defined
by the IEEE 802.3x standard. The follow-on priority-based...
is a 2014 Swiss comedy
Urfer. It was one of seven films shortlisted
to be their submission
for the Academy...
, respectively. The phrases
form are often taken
to mean at the end of a prosodic
unit, in pre-pausal
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Pauses