Definition of Opposition. Meaning of Opposition. Synonyms of Opposition
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Opposition. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Opposition and, of course, Opposition synonyms and on the right images related to the word Opposition.
Definition of Opposition
OppositionOpposition Op`po*si"tion, n. [F., fr. L. oppositio. See
1. The act of opposing; an attempt to check, restrain, or
The counterpoise of so great an opposition. --Shak.
Virtue which breaks through all opposition.
2. The state of being placed over against; situation so as to
front something else. --Milton.
3. Repugnance; contrariety of sentiment, interest, or
purpose; antipathy. --Shak.
4. That which opposes; an obstacle; specifically, the
aggregate of persons or things opposing; hence, in
politics and parliamentary practice, the party opposed to
the party in power.
5. (Astron.) The situation of a heavenly body with respect to
another when in the part of the heavens directly opposite
to it; especially, the position of a planet or satellite
when its longitude differs from that of the sun 180[deg];
-- signified by the symbol ?; as, ? [Jupiter] [Sun],
opposition of Jupiter to the sun.
6. (Logic) The relation between two propositions when, having
the same subject and predicate, they differ in quantity,
or in quality, or in both; or between two propositions
which have the same matter but a different form.
Meaning of Opposition from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Related images to Opposition