Definition of played. Meaning of played. Synonyms of played
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word played. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word played and, of course, played synonyms and on the right images related to the word played.
Definition of played
PlayPlay Play, v. t.
To play hob, to play the part of a mischievous spirit; to
work mischief. Plebs Plebs (pl[e^]bz), n. [L. Cf.
1. The commonalty of ancient Rome who were citizens without
the usual political rights; the plebeians; --
distinguished from the patricians.
2. Hence, the common people; the populace; -- construed as a
pl. PlayPlay Play, n.
1. Amusement; sport; frolic; gambols.
2. Any exercise, or series of actions, intended for amusement
or diversion; a game.
John naturally loved rough play. --Arbuthnot.
3. The act or practice of contending for victory, amusement,
or a prize, as at dice, cards, or billiards; gaming; as,
to lose a fortune in play.
4. Action; use; employment; exercise; practice; as, fair
play; sword play; a play of wit. ``The next who comes in
5. A dramatic composition; a comedy or tragedy; a composition
in which characters are represented by dialogue and
A play ought to be a just image of human nature.
6. The representation or exhibition of a comedy or tragedy;
as, he attends ever play.
7. Performance on an instrument of music.
8. Motion; movement, regular or irregular; as, the play of a
wheel or piston; hence, also, room for motion; free and
easy action. ``To give them play, front and rear.'
The joints are let exactly into one another, that
they have no play between them. --Moxon.
9. Hence, liberty of acting; room for enlargement or display;
scope; as, to give full play to mirth.
Play actor, an actor of dramas. --Prynne.
Play debt, a gambling debt. --Arbuthnot.
Play pleasure, idle amusement. [Obs.] --Bacon.
A play upon words, the use of a word in such a way as to be
capable of double meaning; punning.
Play of colors, prismatic variation of colors.
To bring into play, To come into play, to bring or come
into use or exercise.
To hold in play, to keep occupied or employed.
Meaning of play from wikipedia
- play (stylized as play) is a monthly magazine produced
by imagine publishing
in the united kingdom
, which reports
on sony 's playstation
- play! a video
is a concert series
that features music
from video games performed
by a live orchestra. the concerts
- play may refer
to: play (activity), enjoyed
and humans. play (theatre), structured literary
form of theatre. play may also refer
- i.play, also known
as the intelligent
is an interactive playground designed
in collaboration between progressive sports
- a play is a form of literature written
by a playwright
, usually consisting
of scripted dialogue between characters
- ice hockey, commonly referred
to by its north american
fans as hockey, is a team sport played
on ice, in which skaters
- a musician
(or 'instrumentalist') is a person
a musical instrument
(although not necessarily) as a profession
- is a musician
. a professional pianist
solo pieces, play with an ensemble
, or accompany
- he had been writing plays
for more than 25 years
('agon ') for tragedies
may have begun
as 534 bce; official
- the actors
(always men) wore masks appropriate
to the characters
they represented, and each might
play several parts athenian