Definition of negative. Meaning of negative. Synonyms of negative
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word negative. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word negative and, of course, negative synonyms and on the right images related to the word negative.
Definition of negative
negativeReversed Re*versed", a.
1. Turned side for side, or end for end; changed to the
contrary; specifically (Bot. & Zo["o]l.), sinistrorse or
sinistral; as, a reversed, or sinistral, spiral or shell.
2. (Law) Annulled and the contrary substituted; as, a
reversed judgment or decree.
Reversed positive or negative (Photog.), a picture
corresponding with the original in light and shade, but
reversed as to right and left. --Abney. NegativeNegative Neg"a*tive, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Negatived; p. pr. &
vb. n. Negativing.]
1. To prove unreal or intrue; to disprove.
The omission or infrequency of such recitals does
not negative the existence of miracles. --Paley.
2. To reject by vote; to refuse to enact or sanction; as, the
Senate negatived the bill.
3. To neutralize the force of; to counteract.
Meaning of negative from wikipedia