Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word To ruffle the feathers of. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word To ruffle the feathers of and, of course, To ruffle the feathers of synonyms and on the right images related to the word To ruffle the feathers of.
Definition of To ruffle the feathers of
To ruffle the feathers ofRuffle Ruf"fle, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ruffled; p. pr. & vb. n.
Ruffling.] [From Ruff a plaited collar, a drum beat, a
tumult: cf. OD. ruyffelen to wrinkle.]
1. To make into a ruff; to draw or contract into puckers,
plaits, or folds; to wrinkle.
2. To furnish with ruffles; as, to ruffle a shirt.
3. To oughen or disturb the surface of; to make uneven by
agitation or commotion.
The fantastic revelries . . . that so often ruffled
the placid bosom of the Nile. --I. Taylor.
She smoothed the ruffled seas. --Dryden.
4. To erect in a ruff, as feathers.
[the swan] ruffles her pure cold plume. --Tennyson.
5. (Mil.) To beat with the ruff or ruffle, as a drum.
6. To discompose; to agitate; to disturb.
These ruffle the tranquillity of the mind. --Sir W.
But, ever after, the small violence done Rankled in
him and ruffled all his heart. --Tennyson.
7. To throw into disorder or confusion.
Where best He might the ruffled foe infest.
8. To throw together in a disorderly manner. [R.]
I ruffled up falen leaves in heap. --Chapman
To ruffle the feathers of, to exite the resentment of; to
Meaning of To ruffle the feathers of from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Awesome quote for you
Related images to To ruffle the feathers of
The images related to To ruffle the feathers of are not available for now.