Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Paper. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Paper and, of course, Paper synonyms and on the right images related to the word Paper.
Definition of Paper
Carborundum cloth Carborundum cloth or paper paper .
Cloth or paper covered with powdered carborundum.
paperPoonah painting Poo"nah paint`ing [From Poona, in Bombay
A style of painting, popular in England in the 19th century,
in which a thick opaque color is applied without background
and with scarcely any shading, to thin paper, producing
flowers, birds, etc., in imitation of Oriental work.
painter, etc. PaperPaper Pa"per, n. [F. papier, fr. L. papyrus papyrus, from
which the Egyptians made a kind of paper, Gr. ?. Cf.
1. A substance in the form of thin sheets or leaves intended
to be written or printed on, or to be used in wrapping. It
is made of rags, straw, bark, wood, or other fibrous
material, which is first reduced to pulp, then molded,
pressed, and dried.
2. A sheet, leaf, or piece of such substance.
3. A printed or written instrument; a document, essay, or the
like; a writing; as, a paper read before a scientific
They brought a paper to me to be signed. --Dryden.
4. A printed sheet appearing periodically; a newspaper; a
journal; as, a daily paper.
5. Negotiable evidences of indebtedness; notes; bills of
exchange, and the like; as, the bank holds a large amount
of his paper.
6. Decorated hangings or coverings for walls, made of paper.
See Paper hangings, below.
7. A paper containing (usually) a definite quantity; as, a
paper of pins, tacks, opium, etc.
8. A medicinal preparation spread upon paper, intended for
external application; as, cantharides paper.
Note: Paper is manufactured in sheets, the trade names of
which, together with the regular sizes in inches, are
shown in the following table. But paper makers vary the
Paper Pa"per, a.
Of or pertaining to paper; made of paper; resembling paper;
existing only on paper; unsubstantial; as, a paper box; a
PaperPaper Pa"per, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Papered; p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To cover with paper; to furnish with paper hangings; as,
to paper a room or a house.
2. To fold or inclose in paper.
3. To put on paper; to make a memorandum of. [Obs.] paperFossil Fos"sil, a. [L. fossilis, fr. fodere to dig: cf. F.
fossile. See Fosse.]
1. Dug out of the earth; as, fossil coal; fossil salt.
2. (Paleon.) Like or pertaining to fossils; contained in
rocks, whether petrified or not; as, fossil plants,
Fossil copal, a resinous substance, first found in the blue
clay at Highgate, near London, and apparently a vegetable
resin, partly changed by remaining in the earth.
Fossil cork, flax, paper, or wood, varieties of
Fossil farina, a soft carbonate of lime.
Fossil ore, fossiliferous red hematite. --Raymond.
Meaning of Paper from wikipedia
Recent Searches ...
Awesome quote for you
Related images to Paper
The images related to Paper are not available for now.