Definition of Dilated. Meaning of Dilated. Synonyms of Dilated
Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Dilated. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Dilated and, of course, Dilated synonyms and on the right images related to the word Dilated.
Definition of Dilated
DilatedDilate Di*late" (?; 277), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dilated; p.
pr. & vb. n. Dilating.] [L. dilatare; either fr. di- = dis-
+ latus wide, not the same word as latus, used as p. p. of
ferre to bear (see Latitude); or fr. dilatus, used as p. p.
of differre to separate (see Delay, Tolerate, Differ,
and cf. Dilatory): cf. F. dilater.]
1. To expand; to distend; to enlarge or extend in all
directions; to swell; -- opposed to contract; as, the
air dilates the lungs; air is dilated by increase of heat.
2. To enlarge upon; to relate at large; to tell copiously or
Do me the favor to dilate at full What hath befallen
of them and thee till now. --Shak.
Syn: To expand; swell; distend; enlarge; spread out; amplify;
Dilated Di*lat"ed, a.
1. Expanded; enlarged. --Shak.
2. (Bot.) Widening into a lamina or into lateral winglike
3. (Zo["o]l.) Having the margin wide and spreading.
Meaning of Dilat from wikipedia